I wanted to take a few moments to let you know about some of the exciting projects the Finance Outreach & Compliance (FOC) team is working on:
- Jack Jensen has been busy developing training materials and work aids to support the launch of ExpenseUVA on April 17th. You can find more information about the launch and support materials on Procurement and Supplier Diversity Travel and Expense website.
- LaVerne Harris, with help from the rest of the FOC team, developed some short informative videos on various topics for the redesigned Export Controls website (coming soon).
- Brandi Van Ormer is working to bring the UVAFinance websites in line with our new UVAFinance brand guidelines.
- Danielle Hancock and Christopher Birkl from the Managerial Reporting Project (MRP) are introducing UBI work aids designed to make adopting best practices quick and easy as part of the monthly Fiscal Administrators meetings.
- Christine Carrizosa is spearheading our efforts to update the Finance policies and move them into the policy directory. Currently in the works are policies related to fine and decorative arts, revenue generating activities, fixed assets, and expenditure credits.
- Andrew Bedotto has transitioned to export controls and is working on improvements to our restricted party screening procedures.
- Erika Priddy and the UVAForward Planning Committee are hard at work developing an outstanding agenda for this year's conference on May 25th and for the preconference workshops. Please save the date and check the UVAForward website for updates.
- Lynn Galasso is organizing a second meeting for ARMICS coordinators from Virginia state colleges and universities in conjunction with the Spring FOCUS conference that will be held at the Boar's Head April 18-19th.
- Patty Marbury is providing professional coaching to participants in the first cohort of UVAFinance's Manager Development Program, in addition to her ongoing oversight and support of FOC's training initiatives, developing web content, and collaborating with other central areas and projects to provide change management resources.
- Greg Ball is currently on assignment to MRP and Student Financial Services and is working on getting student financial data into UBI.
- I am working with Office of Sponsored Programs, MRP and the office of the VIce President for Research to develop a QlikSense application that will enable more efficient monitoring of compliance with financial conflict of interest requirements.
While this list is not exhaustive, I hope it provides you with a little insight into our ongoing work to support UVAFinance's mission, vision, and core values.
Mission: UVAFinance provides the financial framework to accurately, effectively, and transparently steward University resources in a complex educational and healthcare environment. We are the source of financial expertise, information, solutions, and insight that informs internal and external stakeholders and enables University students, educators, researchers, and administrators to be their best.
Vision: UVAFinance is the valued and trusted financial partner that the University community turns to first.
Core Values: impeccable source of information; service excellence; innovative action; collaborative partner; and valued, high-performing teams
Have a great Spring!
Kelly Hochstetler, Director
"The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking." Albert Einstein